Rozalind MacPhail takes us on an inspiring journey where live music, silent film and storytelling weave together a tapestry about people, place and the human experience. Rozalind’s original live music score combines multi-layered sound looping, traditional songwriting, field recordings and loads of effected flute, MacPhail’s specialty.
MacPhail performs live original music to selected short films from her award-winning audio-visual projects, FROM THE RIVER TO THE OCEAN and HEAD FIRST along with her newly-released audio-visual project, DON’T LET ME FALL TOO FAR.
Following the performance, a Q&A with Rozalind MacPhail offers audiences an inspiring opportunity to learn more about MacPhail’s creative process.
Duration: 90 minutes with Q&A
- Dempster Highway (Dan Sokolowski, Canada)
- Victoria Street (Gina Rae Anderson, Canada)
- Greenfield (Josh Caine, US)
- Now Accepting Food Stamps (Rozalind MacPhail, Canada)
- The Gaze (Shona Thomson, Scotland)
- FLOE (Joel Heath, Canada)
- Don’t Let Me Fall Too Far (Raven Blue, Canada)
Contact Rozalind: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (709) 769-8088
Watch Rozalind MacPhail performing “The Gaze” (Live in Halifax)
Watch Rozalind MacPhail performing “Dempster Highway” and “Victoria Street” at TEDx St. John’s
LIVE PERFORMANCE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
Rozalind requires technical support from the technician contracted for the venue as well as the following equipment she won’t be able to take on the plane:
- Rozalind: flute loops, vocals and electronics mixed through laptop (Ableton Live) while video is being projected through an HDMI projector controlled by Rozalind via her laptop.
- Rozalind + laptop/table located in front of screen on stage right or left – avoiding blocking audience view.
- 1 boom mic stand (Rozalind provides her own Neumann mic).
- 1 extension cord for Rozalind’s electrical setup on stage.
- Stereo Mix – Rozalind provides a stereo mix from 2 balanced 1/4 inch cables coming out of her RME Babyface Pro audio interface to go through 2 DI’s or straight into the main PA.
- No monitors required – please mute during live performance.
- Projection Screen (whatever size is the most appropriate for the performance space).
- Projector, Projector Stand and HDMI cable to the stage (Rozalind can provide this if it is not available at the venue).
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL COMMENTS
- Rozalind requires secure access to the performance space 2 hours in advance of the performance and at least 45 minutes after the performance to tear down and strike.
- If a mixing board is provided as the access point for the 1/4 inch cables, the same sound technician familiar with that equipment will be required both during sound check period and the performance.
- Lighting should be able to be dimmed in the performance space so that the visuals can come to life on the screen with spotlight lighting provided on the performer to highlight Rozalind performing on stage.