“It‘s easy to fall for the eclectic sounds of this creative mastermind, and you will probably get lost in your imagination while falling.“ (Rock Eden Magazine)
“Uplifting melodies and dance-inducing grooves. MacPhail is forging new territory for musicians everywhere.” (The Flute Examiner)
“An artistry that is both visionary and innovative.” (The Flute View)
Following years of classical music performance training at the Etobicoke School of the Arts, University of Toronto and University of Ottawa, she has pursued her interest in a wide range of musical genres, while performing as guest flutist with other artists, including Yo La Tengo, Lou Barlow, Constantines, Great Lake Swimmers, Elliott Brood and Pick a Piper.
- MacPhail created an album for Yin Yoga in 2018 for the RPM Challenge, LOVE AND LET BE
- MacPhail created an album of meditation music in 2017 for the RPM Challenge, SUNSET SUNRISE. It’s nominated for an ECMA and was nominated for MusicNL’s Instrumental Recording of the Year.
- From 2015 – 2016, MacPhail collaborated with Canadian film director, Ingrid Veninger, improvising a live score of original music for her award-winning feature film, HE HATED PIGEONS which has screened at film festivals worldwide.
- MacPhail has performed at the National Flute Convention and the Canadian Flute Convention.
- MacPhail’s audio-visual project, FROM THE RIVER TO THE OCEAN premiered in 2016 at Gros Morne Summer Music and the Cucalorus Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina. It was nominated for MusicNL Instrumental Recording of the Year and ECMA Electronic Recording of the Year.
- HEAD FIRST, MacPhail’s collaborative audio-visual DVD project was released at the Banff Centre and also was co-presented with St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival at St. John’s LSPU Hall. This project represents seven years of work curating and collaborating with musicians and filmmakers from across Canada. The US premiere of HEAD FIRST took place in North Carolina at the 20th Annual Cucalorus Film Festival. HEAD FIRST was nominated for an ECMA and a MusicNL Award
Performance Highlights: NewFest, First Night Raleigh, Dawson City International Short Film Festival, Banff Centre, Atlantic Center for the Arts, Canadian Flute Convention, Cucalorus Film Festival, Ashland Independent Film Festival, Nickel Film Festival, Atlantic Film Festival, St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival, Gros Morne Summer Music, Sound Symposium, National Flute Convention, MusicNL Week and TEDx St. John’s.
Rozalind seeks opportunities to create music for film, particularly through live performance synchronized to image. She looks forward to performing her original music worldwide, while connecting with audiences of all ages. As a music clinician, Rozalind has presented workshops in Canada and the United States in flute performance, live scoring for film, looping through Ableton Live and music career development.
Rozalind has performed on flute with:
AA Sound System
Alpha YaYa Diallo
Coco Love Alcorn
Great Lake Swimmers
Hank and Lily
“Harmonica” George McConkey
In Support of Living
Jon and Roy
Jon-Rae and the River
Pick a Piper
Raising The Fawn
The Mountains and the Trees
We vs. Death
Yo La Tengo