“MacPhail is forging new territory for musicians everywhere.” (The Flute Examiner)
“It’s easy to fall for the eclectic sounds of this creative mastermind, and you will probably get lost in your imagination while falling.“ (Rock Eden Magazine)
International Touring Artist, Rozalind MacPhail (Canada) creates organic electronic music for live performance and film. She explores new ways to combine image and sound in works that speak honestly of people, place and the human experience. A classically-trained flutist, MacPhail layers effected flute loops, vocals, field recordings and electronics through Ableton Live. She takes audiences on an inspiring journey across Canada and beyond. One of the world’s most buzzed-about Gemeinhardt artists, MacPhail took home an East Coast Music Award for Electronic Recording of the Year and was nominated for four MusicNL awards. She is currently touring her audio-visual project, DON’T LET ME FALL TOO FAR. Her newest collaborative audio-visual project, PUSH & PULL will be released in 2021.
Based in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, MacPhail is an active performer, film composer, session player and music educator.
MacPhail is the first-ever Canadian artist sponsored by the Gemeinhardt family, one of the music industry’s largest exclusive manufacturer of flutes and piccolos. Gemeinhardt President & CEO, David Pirtle says, ”Gemeinhardt is thrilled to sponsor the creative artistry of Canada’s looping flutist, Rozalind MacPhail. She is a dynamic and gifted performer who inspires through her lively audio-visual performances and interactive music workshops.”
MacPhail grew up in Canada on a small group of islands nestled in the harbour of Toronto, Ontario called Toronto Island. She has lived in many parts of Canada but it was the artistically vibrant city of St. John’s, Newfoundland that stole her heart.
Following years of classical music performance training at the Etobicoke School of the Arts, University of Toronto and University of Ottawa, she has pursued her interest in a wide range of musical genres, while performing as guest flutist with other artists, including Yo La Tengo, Lou Barlow, Constantines, Great Lake Swimmers, Elliott Brood and Pick a Piper.
Rozalind seeks opportunities to create music for film, particularly through live performance synchronized to image. She looks forward to performing her original music worldwide, while connecting with audiences of all ages. As a music clinician, Rozalind has presented workshops in Canada and the United States in flute performance, live scoring for film, looping through Ableton Live and music career development.
- Award Nominee, MusicNL Award (2019) for “Female Artist of the Year”, “Electronic Artist of the Year” and “Educator of the Year” (DON’T LET ME FALL TOO FAR)
- North American Premiere of DON’T LET ME FALL TOO FAR at Cucalorus Festival (2019)
- Showcasing Artist, Contact East (2019)
- Tour, 17-date performance and music clinic tour of Sweden and Denmark / Showcased at Live at Heart Sweden (2019)
- Award Nominee, ECMA (2019) for “Electronic Recording of the Year” (LOVE AND LET BE)
- Featured Performer and Music Educator, Festival of Small Halls (2019)
- International Jury Member, Live at Heart Sweden Film Awards (2019)
- Presenter at the National Flute Convention in Salt Lake City (2019)
- Award Nominee, MusicNL Award (2018) for “Female Artist of the Year”, “Instrumental Artist of the Year”, “Educator of the Year” and “Side Musician of the Year” (LOVE AND LET BE)
- Tour, 14-date performance and music clinic tour of Berlin and Sweden / Live at Heart Sweden (2018)
- Tour, 5-date showcase/panelist at the National Flute Convention in Orlando, Florida (2018)
- Tour, 9-date Cucalorus Festival sponsored tour of North Carolina / Cameron Art Museum, Cat’s Cradle, Cat Fly Film Festival and various yoga studios (2018)
- Award Nominee, ECMA (2018) “Electronic Recording of the Year” (SUNSET SUNRISE)
- TOUR – 26-date Long & McQuade / Gemeinhardt sponsored tour of Atlantic Canada / Long & McQuade stores, various schools, ECMA’s and Quality Block Party (2018)
- First Canadian flutist to be sponsored as a Gemeinhardt Musical Instruments International Touring Artist (2018 – Present)
- MacPhail created an album for Yin Yoga home practice for the RPM Challenge, LOVE AND LET BE (2018)
- MacPhail created an album of meditation music for the RPM Challenge, SUNSET SUNRISE(2017). It was nominated for ECMA Electronic Recording of the Yearand MusicNL’s Instrumental Recording of the Year.
- From 2015 – 2016, MacPhail collaborated with Canadian film director, Ingrid Veninger, improvising a live score of original music for her award-winning feature film, HE HATED PIGEONS which has screened at film festivals worldwide.
- MacPhail has performed at the National Flute Convention and the Canadian Flute Convention.
- MacPhail’s audio-visual project, FROM THE RIVER TO THE OCEAN premiered in 2016 at Gros Morne Summer Music and the Cucalorus Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina. It was nominated for MusicNL Instrumental Recording of the Year and won ECMA Electronic Recording of the Year.
- HEAD FIRST, MacPhail’s collaborative audio-visual DVD project was released at the Banff Centre and also was co-presented with St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival at St. John’s LSPU Hall. This project represents seven years of work curating and collaborating with musicians and filmmakers from across Canada. The US premiere of HEAD FIRST took place in North Carolina at the 20th Annual Cucalorus Film Festival. HEAD FIRST was nominated for an ECMA and a MusicNL Award
NewFest, First Night Raleigh, Cameron Art Museum, Contact East, The Rooms, Festival of Small Halls, Cat’s Cradle, Live at Heart Sweden, Cat Fly Film Festival, Dawson City International Short Film Festival, Banff Centre, Atlantic Center for the Arts, Canadian Flute Convention, Cucalorus Festival, Ashland Independent Film Festival, Nickel Film Festival, Atlantic Film Festival, St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival, Gros Morne Summer Music, Sound Symposium, National Flute Convention, MusicNL Week and TEDx St. John’s.
ROZALIND HAS PLAYED GUEST FLUTE WITH
AA Sound System
Alpha YaYa Diallo
Coco Love Alcorn
Great Lake Swimmers
Hank and Lily
“Harmonica” George McConkey
In Support of Living
Jon and Roy
Jon-Rae and the River
Pick a Piper
Raising The Fawn
The Mountains and the Trees
We vs. Death
Yo La Tengo